Friday, July 07, 2017

Dallin's Quilt...


One more is finished.The other day someone at the quilt store where I buy some of my fabrics asked how many quilts I had completed. I still haven't bothered to count. All I know is that I'm making steady progress.


This particular quilt is for our second oldest grandson. He's nine years old. {I just had a "moment" when I realized if Dallin is 9, we have 16 more grandkids under nine. And, let's not forget the "one on the way." That's a lot of little ones -- whew. Sometimes it surprises even me.} Anyway, Dallin is growing up, so I wanted to make him a quilt that reflected his life right now and maybe a few years in the future.


Dallin started Cub Scouts last year, so I thought I'd make him a quilt about the great outdoors. I'm sure that will be a big part of his life in the years to come. I used some of the same fabrics on his brother's quilt, but changed out the predominant color in Dallin's to be navy blue.


The fabrics I used were primarily from Dear Stella and Riley Blake lines. They all have a woodsy vibe that I adore for little boys and the fabrics compliment each other beautifully...


I chose a swirly pattern for the quilting. Love it...


I'm finished with making all the quilt tops and backs for all the grandkids (that's 24 quilts), so I'm currently working on our kid's and kids-in-law's quilts now. I have to admit, I'm a little more anxious about their quilts. I find myself second-guessing fabric choices and designs. I have found some fabulous fabrics however, so I'm looking forward to putting them together!


Dallin's finished quilt measures 50" x 60". The half square triangle blocks are 9.5 inches (trimmed down from a 10.5" block)  and there is a 2.5" boarder around the quilt.